Read Chrissy Like Chrissy on Facebook Follow Chrissy on Twitter Follow Chrissy's Pins Contact Chrissy

Saturday, September 05, 2009

Cookin' Up Trouble and the Barnes and Noble

I'm a cookbook fiend. My Nana used to sit and read them slowly, luxuriously, in her living room. She insisted it was like having a meal without the calories. I'm not sure if this is a blessing or a curse, but she passed the addiction on. Today I hit Barnes and Noble and blew $50 in an eye-blink on these two.

Hungry Girl: 200 Under 200 by Lisa Lillien is an ingenious collection of 200 recipes under 200 calories. The great thing about this book is that the recipes are both SIMPLE and REASONABLE. They aren't crappy versions of something you'd want to eat, but would find disappointing because of the stripping of ingredients. I cracked this open to "Cheesy Butternut Bake," flipped forward to "Gooey Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing," and put it in the BUY pile. YUM!



But don't get the idea I'm all about health and quickie meals. My second choice is a gorgeous, lush collection: Falling Cloudberries by Tessa Kiros is a beautifully bound hardcover collection of family recipes from all over the globe. The book is dedicated to her grandfathers and has incredible photographs throughout. But the seal on the deal is the recipes: Lachmajou (a wonderful spice lamb recipe), Keftedes (a Greek meat and fruit recipe that I've only had once, and have searched for since), and even something as simple as a good Carrot Cake recipe. I'm salivating already!

So what cookbooks are your stand-bys? Do you keep one of your own?

3 comments ]:[ Add your comment:

Ansha Kotyk said...

Mark Bittman is my god. I'll cook anything he writes a recipe for. Luckily his books are How to Cook Everything and How to Cook Everything Vegetarian.

Christa Maurice said...

I used to have Hungry Girl on my homepage, but she made me too hungry. I'll have to go look for the book.

Chrissy said...

I read the fancy ones more for fantasy and pleasure. I'm a GOOD cook... but mostly when I keep it simple.

Also Taste of Home Magazine kicks butt. LOL

Post a Comment