Read Chrissy Like Chrissy on Facebook Follow Chrissy on Twitter Follow Chrissy's Pins Contact Chrissy

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Super Tuesday Musings

This Super Tuesday has not been a cut-and-dried experience for me. I am, as most people know, a pretty devoted Republican. I'm not an idiot, so I don't vote party lines very strictly, but more often than not I do vote Republican. When I veer from the path it's usually in a state or local election. Today I had something of a conundrum with which to deal.

Kerry Healey is the MA GOP gubernatorial candidate. She's not terribly conservative, and I don't trust her. She took huge amounts of money (by way of campaign ads, chiefly) from Big Dig contractors who are supposed to be getting the bums-rush from the Romney-Healey administration. She used very sleazy tactics during the campaign, and gives off an ill-disguised odor of racism. (She spent a lot of time criticizing Deval Patrick's immigration policies while stumping at events for Irish causes at which about 30% of the attendants were illegal. So brown people are dangerous and freckle-faced Southie folks are dangerous, but often get illegal voting status, so s'all good?)

Generally if an incumbent has been in office for a long time I vote the other way. Massachusetts has been selling senatorial and rep seats for decades, and I think it's unhealthy. Ted Kennedy has been in office longer than I have been alive and I'm middle aged (41). In many of those races the candidates were unopposed, or the opponent was with a rather crispy sounding party. I'm a political risk-taker, but I'm not voting for anyone running on the Sparkly Sunshine Party ticket.

So in three races I wrote in my dad's name. He's a good guy and could only do minimal damage, and if a miracle happened and he got elected I could possibly get a seat at the pork belly buffet!

One of my oldest friends-- Pete-- is also a Republican. He started off a Communist but I wore him down. I conned him into regressing long enough to vote for Deval Patrick, a Democrat, in lieu of Kerry Healey, a weasel.

As we were leaving the polls several charities were taking donations and selling raffle tickets. Some nice old ladies were selling chances on a quilt. "Take a chance?" they asked Pete.

"Lady, I just did," he scowled, still grumbling about my strong arm tactics. I've known him since first grade, and he was cranky even then.

Before we left the polling area (Furnace Brook School) I let Max out of the car for a second while I further convinced Pete he had done the right thing. Somebody had left some Healey signs by the fence. Max peed on one of them.

"That's gotta be an omen." Pete seemed convinced.

"Would I give you bad advice?" I won't publish his response here. Doesn't matter, really, I already got my way. < EG >

0 comments ]:[ Add your comment:

Post a Comment