Read Chrissy Like Chrissy on Facebook Follow Chrissy on Twitter Follow Chrissy's Pins Contact Chrissy

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Favorites from Your YA Keeper Pile

Every now and then the topic of favorite books is bound to come up with a book-nerd/writer like me. Recently the topic of keepers and throwers was broached, and I ended up on a bit of a topic safari with a friend. What Young Adult books do you keep around for younger visitors and your own mindless meandering pleasure? I love reading YA fiction, am currently writing it, and think more people should discover it. Around my home I have a solid list of absolute forever-keepers that never seem to miss with young readers and very often convert skeptical adults.

Here's my list of favorites:

Harry Potter -- The Series by JK Rowling
Lemony Snicket-- The Series by Daniel Handler / aka Lemony Snicket
Animorphs-- The Series by KA Applegate
The Harper Hall Series by Anne McCaffrey
The Valdemar and Bardic Voices Series by Mercedes Lackey
The Tiffany Aching Series by Terry Pratchett
The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon
The Five Little Peppers Series by Margaret Sidney
Little House Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Black Stallion Series by Walter Farley
Most of Robin McKinley
Fly by Night by KM Peyton
Island of the Blue Dolphin by Scott O'Dell
Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes
Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
Lad, A Dog by Albert Payson Terhune

So what are your favorite young adult titles? I bet many of you will list titles I forgot to include-- so share!

2 comments ]:[ Add your comment:

Diana Castilleja said...

I grew up on the Black Stallion Books. I don't have anything YA in the house right now, but I'm sure that will change over time. Lil J is a hungry reader. He loves going to the bookstore like most kids like going to the candy store.

I do have several of the HP books but not many more that could be considered YA.

Mary said...

I've enjoyed so many brilliant YA novels.
My top 5:
Holes by Louis Sachar
A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
The Julie Trilogy by Jean Craighead George
Clockwork by Philip Pullman
Hoot by Carl Hiaasen

Post a Comment