Read Chrissy Like Chrissy on Facebook Follow Chrissy on Twitter Follow Chrissy's Pins Contact Chrissy

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

In Praise of Color Blind Ex-Marine Custom Decorators

There are some things that must be seen to be believed. Today I spent some time with an old (and I do mean OLD) friend. Petie and I have known one another since kindergarten, which places our friendship at 36-going-on-37 years. He's an absolutely brilliant photographer and artist.

One of the things Pete has been teaching me about photography is how to capture something other than pretty, but powerful. So today I was practicing "wandering" with my camera. I won't say where this house is, but it's about a 20 minute drive from home (15 if you drive like me). If you are the owner and have stumbled upon this blog... I salute you! Never has chrome yellow filled me with such a sense of awe.

For everyone else... I resized and cropped these photos directly from my camera. Nothing else has been altered. There's some stuff you can't make up.



Somebody loves both CHROME YELLOW and JESUS.



A LOT.



And... ummm... what does that say????



Nope. I read that correctly. Well... you have to admire his or her... errr... optimism.

Anyone interested in having their place redone by a very passionate, color-blind, extremely dedicated Christian former Marine? Didn't think so. :) Please insert your own "don't ask / don't tell" joke here.

15 comments ]:[ Add your comment:

Antonia Pearce said...

He's in the wrong part of the country. I can see that look being successful in a couple of other locales...And I think I'll shut my mouth there!

Love the new photo on your blog Chrissy!

Tempest Knight said...

*ROFL* He must have taken decorating classes with me. I painted the closet doors that shade of yellow. Actually my office has bright colors that will call the attention of any kid. Add to that my memorabilia collection (Alf, Darth Vader, Gizmo, Smurfs, etc.), and it's a kid's heaven.

Nonny Blackthorne said...

OMG.

That's...that's...

I don't have words.

(I'm tempted to ask where this place is so I can see it in person. O.O)

Jenster said...

I think that's the same shade of yellow I painted my bathroom in highschool. We had to keep the door shut during the night because it lit up like a beacon and I swear I tanned while getting ready for school.

I would hire him for consultations, but I don't think he's close enough.

Anonymous said...

Looking at the spraypainted smiley face and mushroom on the side of his truck, I'd say he could get a lot of work on one of the nearby islands....

Jenn said...

ROFL!!! His poor, poor neighbors!

Em said...

Are the crosses on the trees made out of duct tape?

I kind of like the peace sign (and peace fingers) on the top of the roof.

Too funny!

Sara Thacker said...

It's nice in its own way. Kind of reminds me of a beach house, in the tropics. All you need now is some good music and some dancing beach bunnies.

P. Robinson said...

I laughed so hard when I saw this. My husband was in the Marines and he really is color-blind! Haha, I will have to show him this.

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Um, my eyes are still watering from the bright yellow.

Anonymous said...

I like the yellow. Gives the house character :) :)

Anonymous said...

And BTW.......remind me to take a picture next Christmas of the house in Springfield, Missouri that is literally covered on every surface with lights with a gigantic sign that reads "Jesus is the reason for the season."

Apparently he is also the reason for monstrous utility bills through December and January!

L.K. Campbell said...

As my Daddy used to say, "It takes all kinds to make up the world."
To each his own...

Anonymous said...

Now those are very colorful and powerful pictures. I like how everything is so bright and composed of primary colors. The contrast is really stark.

Chrissy said...

I should reiterate-- I actually have a lot of admiration for the guts it took.

I also suspect there is an amazing sense of humor behind the front door of that place... if not that, somebody should call in the dudes with butterfly nets.

Post a Comment