Read Chrissy Like Chrissy on Facebook Follow Chrissy on Twitter Follow Chrissy's Pins Contact Chrissy

Friday, September 09, 2005

I miss it, too

I recently had two rather synchronistic things happen.

First, I joined an online romance writer's group. Since I am making my first foray into a new genre I wanted to have a support and reference group backing me up.

Second, I got a minor flood of emails from people who belonged to my old writer's group, THE CRUCIBLE, asking if I was going to re-open it.

The weird thing about this-- and part of the irony and synchronicity-- is that I would never have enough time to actually WRITE if I ran THE CRUCIBLE again; but I haven't received a decent critique (outside of those from my actual editors) since we closed it.

One of the hardest lessons I had to learn as a writer was how addicted we all are to avoiding our work. We find wonderfully creative ways to waste weeks on research that won't be used, brainstorming that is more drizzle than downpour, and revising that's really nothing more than long, slow denial. Anything that needs that much correction shouldn't be hogging space on your hard-drive.

Most critiquing groups are mutual admiration societies or bloated with writers who never move forward. There are nuggets of wisdom here and there, but most of it is "wow I loved it," or "here's some advice that has nothing to do with the actual content of your piece." How many of us have given an honest review of another writer's work that was met with forced good grace only to get backlash soon after in the form of a poorly executed slashing of your next offering on the altar of group input?

I hear your cries, former crucibites! If my health were better I swear I'd re-open. But I do, sincerely, want to write at a deeper pace, and I want fewer distractions at least for the moment.

Let me make an offer. Anyone interested in running it can contact me and I will pay for a domain, set up the site, and hand it over. I'll be your most loyal member, too. (Pssst... Maria... you would be REALLY good at this!)

In the mean time-- and for all time-- keep in touch. I miss all of YOU, too.

0 comments ]:[ Add your comment:

Post a Comment