Read Chrissy Like Chrissy on Facebook Follow Chrissy on Twitter Follow Chrissy's Pins Contact Chrissy

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Goddammit Christine

It is a little known fact outside of my family that my actual, full, given name is not Chrissy or Christine, but Goddammit Christine. It was given to me by my father. Most people just call me Chrissy (when I was younger it was Olie or something else unpublishable). Papa, however, often lapses into formality.

So it really shouldn't have been a great surprise to hear my 2 year old nephew use my given name. He hears it all the time.

Liam says it differently than my dad, who puts the emphasis in interesting places. The accent is correctly spoken on the DAM and the TINE, thusly:

GodDAMit ChrisTINE

Wouldn't you know the little beast has every enunciated syllable down pat?

I don't mind, really. A little formality within the family is just fine. I won't say I prefer the given name, mind you. When he calls me by my more oft used nome de bon he pronounces it less successfully with delightful results. How does one deny a little aquamarine eyed tyke popsicles, fruit roll-ups, and trust fund increases when he says "Kweesie canihavit? Kweesie wantthat."

Right. Red popsicles and goldfish crackers coming right up!

At which point, of course, one of the more responsible adults in the vicinity calls me by my "given" name.

0 comments ]:[ Add your comment:

Post a Comment